Sunday, June 27, 2010

Day seven has died and gone to heaven.

The final day of the festival is over. It’s saddening. This was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I have learned so much about this industry and I’ve learned a lot about myself. The individuals who work in this industry are people who I can see myself hanging out with. There are not too many assholes here. They are friendly and outgoing. They are willing to take time out of there day and talk to a student, like myself, and provide advice. That’s something I really admire. One thing this festival has done has been pulling the curtain back on the industry. Before this I didn’t really know what my career was going to consist of. Now I do. I know that I can do this work, before I had my doubts. I believe now that I am a head of the game. This was the greatest classroom that I have ever had. Be here and learning here are like no other. The ideas that are coming back with me to the states are the ideas of communicating to consumers, not interrupting them, engaging in a conversations with consumers, and finally it’s all about the idea. A simple idea that has a strong human insight can go across all platforms, whether it’s television, print, or digital.

There were two big events that happened to me today. The first, I met Brian Elliott, who is the CEO of Amsterdam Worldwide. I got his card. How many people can say that they got a CEO’s card? I’ve got some things to think about because there was a hint of him giving me an internship. The second was the final awards ceremony. The ceremony was built around Film and Film Craft. I was surprised that Old Spice was the winner of the top prize. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great commercial, I just don’t know if it was worthy of the Grand Prix. With that said, the USA dominated Cannes this year in Film and Cyber. American advertising is alive and well.

1 comment:

  1. "...not too many assholes." Good observation. Good blog. Glad you kept up and enjoyed seeing what you learned. Dr. Reichert

    ReplyDelete